If you are trying to keep you weight down then this is an app you will truly make use of on a regular basis.
NEW FEATURE Starting in Version 3.0 — User can now Record Custom Servings using the Create Custom Serving button available in the upper right corner of each Food Serving Infomaton page
The iCals app provides information about foods and how they are rated for Calorie content. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. The foods servings are rated from EXTREMELY LOW in Calories all the way up to EXTREMELY HIGH. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
- = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Calories (500 -1,181)
- = Rated VERY HIGH in Calories (400 - 499)
- = Rated HIGH in Calories (300 - 399)
- = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Calories (250 - 299)
- = Rated MODERATE in Calories (200 - 249)
- = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Calories (150 - 199)
- = Rated LOW in Calories (100 - 149)
- = Rated VERY LOW in Calories (50 - 99)
- = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Calories (0 - 49)
There are eight tables listing food servings:
- = All Foods
- = Fast Foods
- = Fruits & Vegetables
- = Meat, Fish & Shellfish
- = Dairy & Egg
- = Cereal Grains & Pasta
- = Sweets
- = Snacks
The All Foods list allows you to search by any word or partial word from all the Food Titles.
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
- Food Title
- Weight (in grams)
- Common Measure (serving size for weight)
- Calorie Content (in kcals)
- USDA Description
- USDA Food Group
- USDA Nutrient Database Number
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Energy (kcal) Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different food servings included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Fried" and "Fried Egg"). A few these have as many as six searchable names.
The iCals Info screen provides access to additional information pages:
- What are Calories?
- Calorie Recommendations
- Highest Calorie Foods
- User Agreement
- How to Use this App
- About this App (includes allowance to 1) Report a Problem; 2) Ask a Questions; and 3) Make a Suggestion)
The app is compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad.
Category: Health & Fitness, Education
Copyright 2010-2013 James Hollender. All rights reserved.
iPhone / iPod Touch Screenshots — iCals
iPad Screenshots — iCals