iCholesterol - Dietary Cholesterol
If you are working towards healthy eating, knowing the amount of cholesterol in the foods available for consumption can be extremely helpful.
NEW FEATURE Starting in Version 3.0 — User can now Record Custom Servings using the Create Custom Serving button available in the upper right corner of each Food Serving Infomaton page
The iCholesterols app provides information about foods and how they are rated for dietary cholesterol content. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. The foods servings are rated from EXTREMELY LOW in cholesterol all the way up to EXTREMELY HIGH. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
- = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Cholesterol (151 - 641 mg)
- = Rated VERY HIGH in Cholesterol (81 - 150 mg)
- = Rated HIGH in Cholesterol (51 - 80 mg)
- = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Cholesterol (31 - 50 mg)
- = Rated MODERATE in Cholesterol (21 - 30 mg)
- = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Cholesterol (11 - 20 mg)
- = Rated LOW in Cholesterol (6 - 10 mg)
- = Rated VERY LOW in Cholesterol (1 - 5 mg)
- = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Cholesterol (0 mg)
There are eight tables listing food servings:
- = All Foods
- = Fast Foods
- = Fruits & Vegetables
- = Meat, Fish & Shellfish
- = Dairy & Egg
- = Cereal Grains & Pasta
- = Sweets
- = Snacks
The All Foods list allows you to search by any word or partial word from all the Food Titles.
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
- Food Title
- Weight (in grams)
- Common Measure (serving size for weight)
- Cholesterol Content (in milligrams)
- USDA Description
- USDA Food Group
- USDA Nutrient Database Number
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Cholesterol Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different food servings included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Scrambled" and "Scrambled Egg"). A few these have as many as six searchable names.
The iCholesterol Info screen provides access to additional information pages:
- What is Cholesterol?
- Cholesterol in Foods
- Highest Cholesterol Foods
- User Agreement
- How to Use this App
- About this App (includes allowance to 1) Report a Problem; 2) Ask a Questions; and 3) Make a Suggestion)
The app is compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad.
Category: Health & Fitness, Education
Copyright 2010-2013 James Hollender. All rights reserved.
iPhone / iPod Touch Screenshots — iCholesterol
iPad Screenshots — iCholesterol