If you are working towards healthy eating, knowing the amount of sugars in the foods available for consumption can be extremely helpful.
NEW FEATURE Starting in Version 3.0 — User can now Record Custom Servings using the Create Custom Serving button available in the upper right corner of each Food Serving Infomaton page
The iSugars app provides information about foods and how they are rated for content of sugars. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. The food servings are rated from EXTREMELY LOW in sugars all the way up to EXTREMELY HIGH. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
- = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Sugars (40.01 - 166.46 g)
- = Rated VERY HIGH in Sugars (30.01 - 40.00 g)
- = Rated HIGH in Sugars (20.01 - 30.00 g)
- = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Sugars (15.01 - 20.00 g)
- = Rated MODERATE in Sugars (10.01 - 15.00 g)
- = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Sugars (5.01 - 10.00 g)
- = Rated LOW in Sugars (1.01 - 5.00 g)
- = Rated VERY LOW in Sugars (0.01 - 1.00 g)
- = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Sugars (0.00 g)
There are eight tables listing food servings:
- = All Foods
- = Fast Foods
- = Fruits & Vegetables
- = Meat, Fish & Shellfish
- = Dairy & Egg
- = Cereal Grains & Pasta
- = Sweets
- = Snacks
The All Foods list allows you to search by any word or partial word from all the Food Titles.
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
- Food Title
- Weight (in grams)
- Common Measure (serving size for weight)
- Sugars Content (in grams)
- Calories (in kcals)
- Percentage of Sugars by Weight (if at least 1%)
- USDA Description
- USDA Food Group
- USDA Nutrient Database Number
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Sugars, total Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different food servings included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Scrambled" and "Scrambled Egg"). A few these have as many as six searchable names.
The iSugars Info screen provides access to additional information pages:
- What are Sugars?
- Concerns About Sugars
- Highest Sugar Foods
- User Agreement
- How to Use this App
- About this App (includes allowance to 1) Report a Problem; 2) Ask a Questions; and 3) Make a Suggestion)
The app is compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad.
Category: Health & Fitness, Education
Current Version: 3.0
Copyright 2010-2013 James Hollender. All rights reserved.
iPhone / iPod Touch Screenshots — iSugars
iPad Screenshots — iSugars